Fall off the wagon? Yeah, me too; it happens to the best of us. After 6 weeks of following the Tone It Up Love Your Body Challenge, I had an off weekend. From Friday and Saturday night concerts in town, to a boat day on Saturday and a packed day on Sunday (we visited the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens in Miami, which are beautiful!), I got in absolutely zero exercise. And I may have eaten a few too many arepas on Saturday night. And wine. And maybe champagne, can’t remember. So, needless to say, my scheduled 12 mile run on Sunday clearly did not happen. Luckily, I know myself all too well and built in a few extra weeks to my training program to account for lost weekends such as this past one.
[Beth and I at Fairchild Botanic Gardens]
Anyway, Monday rolled around I was back to my ole marathon training routine with a nice 3-miler and a ton of toning work, then a 6-mile run yesterday, and tonight I’m doing another easy 3 miles and more toning. So, my weekend didn’t entirely derail my healthy lifestyle, but it definitely put a speed bump in the road, and I had to make up for it for the past 3 days. Two off-days in a row is something I was accustomed to before I began marathon training and the Love Your Body Challenge, but now it feels weird to let two days slip by with no activity.
I do give myself credit for eating pretty decent though, minus the booze: I requested a veggie sub on whole wheat for the boat day and avoided the potato chips, and on Sunday at the garden Beth and I each drank lots of H20 and had delicious mozzarella-pesto-basil wraps for lunch and strawberry frozen fruit bars for dessert (not bad for on-the-go food).
Here’s a few quick ways to be healthier right now if you’ve been slipping. As in, this minute. Don’t wait until tomorrow, start now!
- Making a smoothie? Add 2 cups of raw spinach. There’s no reason not to as you can’t taste its mild flavor, no matter what type of smoothie you’re making. Plus you get 2 full servings of veggies + tons of healthy vitamins.
- Throw a tablespoon of ground flaxseed on your next meal. Breakfast oatmeal? Add the flaxseed. Tuna for lunch? Mix it in. Veggie burger for dinner? Add it. Just do it. Healthy omega 3′s.
- Drink some green tea with a splash of lemon for your next bev.
- Go for a brisk 30 minute walk; it’s painless, it wakes you up, and you’ll burn 200+ cals.
- Add cinnamon to anything sweet, crushed red pepper to anything savory. Apple? Go for cinnamon on top. Soup, veggies, lean protein? Top it with the crushed red pepper. Read about why these spices are so good for you.
- Pop a fish-oil pill. You know you have a sad little bottle collecting dust in your medicine cabinet.
- Put some sliced lemon in your water. Detox, detox, detox.
- If you go for a run, add in a few quick intervals. Nothing crazy, just try sprinting for one minute at a time, alternated with 2 minutes of jogging, for 10 minutes. Double your calorie burn!
What are your get-fit-quick tricks?